Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wax Works

I was going through my rascals' art and craft supplies earlier, jotting down what we need, getting rid of unusable bits such as dried up felt tips etc and doing a general tidy up. I had made a little pile of broken stumps of crayons when I recalled a post I'd seen out in Blogland about making new crayons out of old. H was very excited when I suggested we make brand new crayons for S (as a sort of apology to his little brother, there hadn't been much brotherly love going around this morning).

It's such a simple and fun activity...



Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. Slice up the crayons into little pieces and put them into a mini-muffin tray. You can make them single coloured or mix about colour for more fun effects. Put them in the oven and leave until the wax melts, then take them out and let them cool (well out of reach of little hands, that hot wax would burn!). When they've cooled and turned solid use a knife to prise them out and hey presto!

Don't they look good enough to eat? My favourite is the moo-cow effect black and white. When S got up from his nap he was so thrilled with this very special pressie from his big brother whom he adores :-)
The crayons kept him busy for ages, and both he and H got a great kick out of getting different colours out of the same crayon depending on where they pressed down. I think these could make a great stocking-filler or a fun addition to party-bags. So lovely for little chubby hands to clutch :-)


This was a winning activity for all, H had such a great time making something special and really useful for his little brother, S was delighted with these colourful, easy to hold crayons and I was glad to have done something resourceful with the old stumps rather than just chuck them out.

Tip: Open the windows while the crayons are in the oven, I didn't, and now the house smells like a crayola factory!

9 comments:

kjkljk;ljljgjgfuyhd said...

What a great idea! Makes me want to color with these muffin-sized crayons, too! They DO look good enough to eat :+D

Becky said...

Really good idea! No kids of my own but will try remember this tip for the future!

Unknown said...

I have had this on my to-do list for ages............now that i see it maybe today will be the day. thanks for the memory jolt. jade

Andy Quirks said...

This is soo nice! I did this as a school project back when I still have a missing front tooth. I think there is a huge stock of broken crayons somewhere in the house. It would be nice to have to do it again just for fun. Thanks!

Kate Moore said...

They look great. Clever idea. I have a box of crayons that I grate, using a peeler, onto waxed paper. Fold another piece of waxed paper on top. Put a tea towel on top of that and iron on a medium heat setting. The wax melts the wax paper together and a stained glass window effect is created. Cut shapes and hang. Actually, might do this myself this week.

Anonymous said...

They look like gorgeous little cupcakes. Makes me want to play; love the post.

home girl said...

fab post, sounds like the sort of activity that would also go down v well here. its such a good feeling when an activity idea goes well. nice work mum

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Hello,
I love this craft. My son wants to do it today. I will link this on my school's eco blog. The parents and kids will adore the activity.
Love your blog!
Erin

Kim said...

I have been meaning to do this project for a long time...thanks for the reminder. Yours turned out wonderfully!