Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Christmas Classics

For me, one of the best parts of the lead-up to Christmas is watching my favourite festive ads and movies that I can't see or won't let myself watch except at this time of year, it keeps them special not to watch them all year round.

First, there are my old favourites...

Top of these is "The Snowman", a short beautifully animated movie with haunting melodies, made in 1982, it never dates...


From 1989 onwards no Christmas in my home was complete without watching "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", so many lovely memories of watching this with my parents and sisters, all of us in stitches laughing :-)


No Christmas ad will ever beat the 1987 Budweiser commercial for me, it will always be my favourite and this time every year I bookmark it in youtube and watch it almost daily :-)


But of course, I do have new favourites too :-)

My little boys are big train fans, so every December when we take out the "Polar Express" DVD there is huge excitement. I feel a viewing coming on in a couple of weeks, can't wait to see their little faces :-)


My favourite Christmas song? Mariah of course!


But a new contender is George Michael's "December Song", my boys are obsessed with this video for some reason, the animation is beautiful, my littlest man loves the lights on wheels and squeals when he sees them. Something that makes my 3 boys stop in their tracks and sit still? How could it not be a favourite?


My fave newer Christmas movie has got to be "Love Actually". London at Christmas, fab!!!


And lastly, although this little film "Lost and Found" has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, I think it may become my newest favourite of all. The boys were given the book a few years ago as a gift and loved it, then last year the animated movie was shown on tv at Christmas and they were spellbound.


Anyway, enough about me! This post was a great excuse to gather all my favourites into one place but I'd love to hear from others out there on your favourites at this special time of year :-)

PS. I know I've used the word "favourite" way too many times in this post but the only equivalent I could think of was "bestest" and that's not a real word now is it?

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Christmas Vacation is an absolute favorite of my dad's, but he is not like you and WILL watch it all year round. It is not unusual for me to come home for a visit in June to find it playing on the TV@

Kylie said...

I love The Snowman too, it's a beautiful little film as is Lost and Found. Both made me tear up. Christmas is a great time to re-discover your inner child and watching Chrissy movies with your own children is one lovely way to do it x

Father's Grace Ministries said...

We love "It's a Wonderful Life"; and, on the more modern side, "The Nativity" movie and Veggietales "St. Nicholas".
Claire

Mushee said...

This year myself and Niall are going to watch 'A Muppet Christmas Carol'. He can't believe I've never seen it. :-)

Bruce said...

Thanks for a great blog
Christmas angel decorations

Missa said...

I'm looking forward to watching The Snowman for the first time with Clover this year :)

We love all the old classic stop-motion ones too.