Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Shades of Teal

I have noticed a predominance of teal and peacock greens in recent home decor magazines, greens and blues are my favourite colours (no surprise there) and I love the richness of these shades. I have been drooling over some of the beautiful items featured in Real Living and House & Garden and online magazines and was happy to find a few really nice pieces of my own on a recent Op Shop hunt.

Firstly, I picked up this cane side table for $10 at Salvos, it was dusty and flaky and was practically screaming "Paint Me"!!! Coloured cane, rattan or bamboo is another popular look at the moment and one I love.

A couple of coats of "Heritage Green" spray paint have transformed it into something really pretty...

For once I had the foresight to take a "Before" shot.

This lovely teal lamp base was $6 in Salvos, the shade is from Target.

A peacock green vase - $3 in Salvos. Birdie - $2 in Salvos.

A squiggly wicker bowl - $4 in Salvos (I say bowl but my youngest has decided it's a hat and wears it accordingly :-)

8 comments:

Emma said...

The side table conversion is fabulous! Love everything else as well. The Salvos are my absolute favourites for bargain finds!!!

kurrabikid said...

You're very perceptive. Those tones of green are indeed 'on trend' as we say in the biz...

Eleni said...

Aw, I want the birdie!

Evelyn said...

that is a nice transformation of the side table, I am loving greens right now too!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the table and the change in it with paint...fabulous!

Flotsam Friends said...

I'm with you! I'm loving this combination at the moment too. You've found some gorgeous things. I adore what you've done with the cane, looks fabulous and what a difference. And how cute is that birdie? Do you know that shop in Narrabeen called "Garden Street Bazaar"? They have the most divine antique plates in this colour too... I've been wanting them for ages but they are $480 for 6!!! Lovely to look at and photograph though (which I've done but not well). Pxxx

Flotsam Friends said...

P.S. Thank you for you comment on my post. I agree, we are incredibly lucky living where we do. I never take it for granted. We moved from Newtown eight years ago and some days when I'm down at the beach I pinch myself... Such a different lifestyle and one I never thought possible (I'm a Brisbane girl). Pxxx

Vanessa said...

Beautiful finds! You have inspired me not to get rid of a cane magazine rack (that I use as a towel holder in the bathroom) and paint or spray paint it instead. What paint did you use?

I love all of your finds, especially the teal lamp and the bowl/hat :D