Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ugly Duckling

I went to a carboot market last weekend and picked up this first aid box.



I fell in love with it straight away, it's metal and has a LOT of rust on the front as you can see but the inside is in pretty good condition and I reckon with some sanding and a few coats of spray paint I could turn this ugly duckling into a real swan. I just love its colours, the red, blue and white scream "Nurse Nancy" to me :-) It cost $2.

I picked up a few more things (of course).

Vintage wooden ruler, love that it says "Made in Australia" - $1

These photo frames fit 3 standard size photos each - $3.

Cute native Australian animal dominoes - $1

Vintage skipping rope - $2.

REALLY old whisk/egg beater - $5.

What visit to a carboot market would be complete without adding to the boys' little car collection, this was free!! A very nice old lady took a shine to my eldest H. and bought it for him despite my protestations, he was delighted!

Cute clock - $1.

Little drumming toy - another freebie, the girl at this particular stall was the most chilled person I have ever seen (too chilled?) and just said "take it" when I asked how much.

We had a lot of fun at this carboot market, just 2 of the boys were with me, our middle munchkin was having a nice dada-son morning out. First stop was a stall selling toys where I picked up a cute little camera toy for my youngest for $1, he was then content to sit in the stroller munching on a rusk, playing with his new toy. My eldest had fun checking out all the different toys, had a few turns on the bouncy castle and enjoyed brunch from the sausage sizzle. I took a few photos on my camera phone and will post them if I can ever work out how to get photos from my phone onto the computer.

7 comments:

Jenifir said...

I love the first aid box. Do you have a product called 'Never Dull' in Australia? Automotive enthusists use it on chrome. It is a wooly fluff imprenated with oil (or something) that lifts rust quite well. It might allow you to clean up the box without removing all the patina. The other finds are great. I picked up an egg beater last weekend also and I love it when I find things made in Canada. It really reminds me of how self-sufficient a country we were and could be again.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

I am loving all the finds! Oh, and those dominoes! Droooooling.

Missa said...

I agree, the colors on the first-aid box are great, it should clean up nicely and I LOVE the dominos!

Karla said...

Those are fantastic treasures... I really love the dominoes too!

home girl said...

sounds like a fun day for all. love all your new treasures. hope the first aid box scrubs up x

Anonymous said...

really great finds! it's always nice visiting your blog: you always find such cool stuff. My favorites are the ruler, the big ben, the dominoes and the drum toy....oh, well...they are all my faves :-)

thanks for visiting!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

That clock is darling. I would LOVE to happen on a darling just like that!!